Wednesday, April 11, 2012

the world according to pop

My grandfather passed away Easter Sunday at the amazing age of 90. I'm still not sure what to say about it, as I immortalized him as a hero a long time ago and now that the time is here for him to take his rightful place in family history, I'm not ready for that. I'm not ready to sort out the legend and the man and to put one in the past and one in the halls of fame in our memories.

So in the meantime, here's a poem my mom wrote about him. I can't say enough how much I love these words. It feels like a direct connection to him, all the wise pieces of advice I was lucky enough to hear him say and even the ones I didn't get a chance to hear.

Lessons From My Father
(the world according to pop)

Respect your mother, whether you are six or sixty-five.

Technology is wonderful but nothing beats a
stroll through a bookstore or an afternoon at
the library.

Who says a cup of coffee and a handful of fig
newtons is not the breakfast of champions?

Get rid of grudges, disappointments and clothes
that don't fit.

Dogs are man's best friend. So are cats. Birds?
Not so much.

A tidy bedroom, pressed trousers and daily
baths are highly overrated.

Commune with nature: plant a garden, feed
the birds, study the night sky.

It's the love of family and friends that makes
one wealthy, not bank accounts and big houses.

Be happy. Enjoy your life. Make great
memories.

by debra larsen whitcomb

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment