Wednesday, February 20, 2013

crowded kitchen: red beans and rice in a slow cooker



I'm pretty sure that once, maybe twice (forty times??), I've mentioned how much I love using a slow cooker during the week. It makes my evenings a little less scream-worthy. It makes clean up waaaay easier (I try to get everything, minus the crock itself) washed up and put away before I serve dinner). And it makes me search for new tastes and recipes because I can't really keep serving chicken burritos or the 10,000 variations I've found every single night. Though I've tried. Ha!
This is my latest find. I love red beans and rice and I usually prepare it out of a box. FOR SHAME! (Dirty secret right there...I'm a HUGE Zatarain's fan.)
This one is homemade, but less fussy than the traditional method. That basically  means I don't really know how to buy a hambone, so I use a ham steak, cut it up, and let it flavor the dish. Sue me. (Please don't.)
Super easy. Super delish. Make some. Noooow!

Slow Cooker Read Beans and Rice
  • 1 ham steak, cubed
  • 1 pound small dried red beans, soaked overnight and drained
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup chopped green pepper
  • Chicken stock
  • Seasonings (I prefer Tony Chacheres, Liquid Smoke, Garlic Salt)
  • 1 cup uncooked rice

Combine everything but the rice in slow cooker. Cover with chicken stock and turn on high for 6 to 8 hours, depending on your machine. For the last 90 minutes of cook time, add rice. Easy peasy, right? To be fancy, you can add diced tomatoes, cubed chicken, smoked sausage...the options are endless.
...happy eating!...
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment