Wednesday, May 29, 2013

stuff of life: buttermilk pie


I never appreciated living in Austin while I had the chance.

I mean, it didn't help that I was 11 years old and not keen on appreciating much (other than my wicked scooter and the ice cream truck), but still. I lived in Austin. Had parents who loved to eat at the original Threadgill's and I'm pretty sure I pouted every time I was there because they didn't have chicken nuggets or an ice cream truck.

But they had buttermilk pie.

And now, my family has buttermilk pie.

It's a southern thing and now that we're out of Alaska, it's a family thing.

It's delicious, despite my first attempt browning a skin on it waaaay too quickly. The trick is to cover the top of the pie with a bit of foil for the first 30 minutes...similar to tenting a chicken.

Happy eating, ya'll!

Buttermilk Pie

Ingredients:
1 10-inch pie shell unbaked
3 Cups Sugar 1/4 C flour1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter, melted 6 eggs1 C buttermilk2 Tbs water1 Tsp lemon juice1 Tsp vanilla extract


Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350.Whisk sugar and flour into melted butter, then add eggs one at a time.Add liquid ingredients.
Bake for at least one hour or until filling is set in the center of the pie.

Pour filling into pie shell (I always seem to have extra filling that I bake in a dish)Place shell on cookie sheeet in preheated oven.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment